If you have multiple pen drives you might have noticed that every time you put in your drive it will be assigned a different drive letter.
This can be frustrating when trying to run backups or opening files from software as recent drive letter is changed. Even if you have created playlist of the songs which are in your pen drive it won’t work if the drive letter is changed.
Here are the steps you will have to follow to assign a permanent drive letter:-
1. Go to Start > Run
2. Type mmc in the box and hit enter.
3. Select File > New
4. Now select File > Add/Remove Snap-in.
5. Select “Disk Management” and click “Add”
6. Select “OK“.
7. Select “This computer” and then “Finish”
8. Now press “OK” on the “Add or Remove snap-ins” screen.
9. Now select “Disk Management” from the left menu.
10.You will now see all of your drives/partitions in the right hand side panel.
11.Right click the USB drive you want to assign a permanent letter to and select “Change Drive Letter and Paths…”
12. Click on “Change”
13. Select a permanent letter
14. Click “OK”
15. It will warn you about making the change – there is little chance programs you use will be affected by this. If they will, you will probably already be aware of this so don’t worry.
16. The final step is to select File > Save and save the file in the default directory. Close the Console and you are done.
Now eject your usb drive and put it back in and see whether it is showing the assigned letter or not.
Comment if you need any help