You don’t need to be an expert to use the Windows task manager through which you can perform various operations such as ending the non responsive tasks and processes, changing the priority of the processes etc.
If you are not satisfied with the features provided with the built in Task Manager, check out this YAPM (Yet Another Process Monitor).
- Local and remote monitoring
- Module and thread management
- Handle management (keys, files…)
- View of TCP/UDP connections opened by the processes
- Windows management (opacity, position, show, hide…)
- Window’ find’ process feature : allows to find the process associated to a window via a drag & drop over the screen
- Emergency Hotkeys feature : allows to associate a custom shortcut to a custom action (for example : Ctrl+Shift+Suppr to close the window which is on foreground)
- Privilege management : allows to view and modify the privileges of processes
- Build-in hex editor to view memory of processes
- “Log mode” to monitor all actions made by a specific process
- Hidden Processes feature to detect basic rootkits
- Local and remote shutdown
- Dependency viewer
- … And lots & lots of other features !
Requires .NET Framework 2.0 Sp1 for running.