Gmail is a crucial part of my life, Everything i have is there on gmail, Right from personal pics to office documents, Creditcard statements to bank accounts.
But one thing keeps me worried about my Gmail, What if I loose access to my account? What if some hacker manages to access to my gmail account and changes my password permanently?
I am sure this is the same question a lot of you will have in your mind, Whether it’s gmail,yahoo mail or hotmail. This is a common problem, I have lost a yahoo account once & it was almost impossible to gain back that account, I tried everything possible, but nothing worked & I was helpless 🙁 . I lost few pics of my college friends which were special in a way, because that was our last day in college.
Anyways lets get back to the main point, How to backup Gmail, Yahoo mail, Hotmail basically any email account for free & automatically?
Before we begin, We need one gmail account and one email account from any other provider(Yahoo, Hotmail preferably ) so keep them handy.
If your primary account is on Gmail, Follow these steps :
- Go to gmail.com and signin to your gmail account.
- Click on “settings” or “gmail settings” in the right hand side corner
- Go to forwarding and POP/IMAP tab. or if you feel like skipping step 1,2,3; Type this url in your browser https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#settings/fwdandpop
- You will reach an interface that looks something like this.
- Now click on the button that says “Add a forwarding Address”
- The page will then direct you to add another email address of yours where you want to receive emails. (A link will be sent to your email address & you will have to click that)
- Now after you have followed the procedure to forward the email automatically, check the radio button that says “Forward a copy of incoming mail to”
- Now , select the option from the drop down menu that says, “Keep Gmail’s copy in the inbox.”
- Save changes.
You are done . All your emails from now that will come to Gmail, will automatically be forwarded to your other email account, Free Backup you see:),
What about hotmail & yahoo users? you will ask, So here is what you need to do.
- Create a gmail account where you want your backup to be downloaded,
- Follow the steps given here Download emaisl to your gmail account from Yahoo , Hotmail & others
- Once you are setup with step 2, your gmail account will automatically pull all the messages from other email accounts & what you get is free backup of all your emails.